Monday, July 22, 2013

The Price - Arthur Miller

I recently was lucky enough to be taken to see Miller's The Price or O Preço, as it was in Portuguese. It was perhaps the best play I've ever seen. The most striking thing for me was the set. The stage is unorthodox in that it is very large and shows great depth, but away from the audience instead of being wide and frontally shallow. The set was filled with beautiful pieces of old furniture and knick-knacks, some enormous, some little. It was such an attractive set that I was immediately intrigued. The actors were very good, taking on their characters splendidly. The best was the policeman who acted in such a policeman-like way. Can't really explain how but he was so much his character. The actors spoke very clearly and projected beautifully while managing to remain naturalistic so even when they were angry I could understand everything. I was impressed as Portuguese is a second language to me and I don't usually understand fast-paced conversations. My acid test would probably be the old man at the back of the room, measuring and labelling things during the arguments and drama downstage. He moved so slowly you barely noticed him moving at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment